Origin of biodynamic agriculture
The father of biodynamic agriculture is the philosopher of freedom, natural scientist and anthroposophist Rudolf Steiner, whose world view was rooted in the theory of anthroposophy, that man shapes his life in relation to the supersensible. With his „Agricultural Courses“ (1924-1925) he founded today’s biodynamic agriculture, which is also familiar to us today under the label „Demeter“.
For example, in addition to normal planting and sowing times, cosmic forces play a central role in biodynamic cultivation. A healthy interaction of humans, animals, plants, earth and cosmos is also important.
Looking for alternatives
For example, at the end of the 19th century, farmers looked for alternatives to commonly used nitrogen fertilizer after observing that yields were steadily declining. Some farmers, adhering to anthroposophical theory, sought advice from Rudolf Steiner. They hoped to develop alternative ways of agriculture through him. At the request of the farmers, Rudolf Steiner gave eight lectures on biodynamic agriculture. Topics included practical concepts on agriculture, livestock and seed production. In addition, Steiner pursued the goal of providing a humanitarian basis for the prosperity of agriculture, which takes into account the coexistence of the earth and the cosmos.
The interaction according to cosmic rules
The biodynamic agriculture sees the operation as an entire organism. The aim is to harmonize the „soil“ through humus formation, soil maintenance and stabilization of the crumb structure. This is achieved by the application of various preparations and mature compost, which promote the soil life, in the form of microorganisms, fungi, microorganisms and earthworms, fertile and keep in balance.
The guidelines of biodynamic agriculture also follow spiritual and homeopathic production methods. In biological-dynamic cultivation, for example, in addition to the normal planting and sowing times, cosmic forces also play a central role. A healthy interaction of humans, animals, plants, earth and cosmos is also important.
What does it means for us?
Of course, this method can also be applied to the private garden, nurseries, garden centers, the holistic attitude of livestock and in nature conservation in general.
Thus, by combining spiritual gardening and biodynamic agriculture, we can create a holistic form of resource use and the coexistence of all life forms existing on Earth in accordance with the cosmic laws. Many farmers and agricultural managers still do not believe that this method can feed all the people and life forms of this earth and have a hard time with the longest needed conversion. Unfortunately, the majority of farmers, then and now, still consider Rudolf Steiner’s ideas unworkable and suitable, and continue to use nitrogen, artificial and mineral fertilizers.
But it got even worse, because the genetically modified plants and seeds, which are usually planted with one or more pesticide genes to be resistant to pesticides that are sprayed against the weeds, heralded an era that affected all living things brought the edge of annihilation.
We have completely lost the respect for LIFE. More is taken from the earth than it is able to naturally give us, and we poison all life on our planet because more and more must be produced. If we were to forego this mass consumption, which is rampant today, that would be a first step in the right direction for me.
Moving from our chemical, large-scale, industrial agriculture to a biological, community-oriented, sustainable agriculture would greatly help to solve our three biggest problems:
1. It would greatly reduce our energy dependence because we now use one-fifth of our fossil fuels to grow and process food.
2. Healthy organic food would greatly improve public health because many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, strokes, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, dementia, etc. are directly related to our diet.
3. Organic agriculture would do a great deal to mitigate climate change because the biological soil is a carbon-rich soil, meaning that it removes CO² from the atmosphere and binds it to organic matter.
Yet, the number of people who have realized that an intact environment can only be reached if we take ourselves to our hearts again, which all civilizations knew before our civilization today, is growing: take as much of Mother Earth as we need and handle their resources responsibly and gently.
There is a very effective way in which we can get better again by:
1. inform us and become aware of what is happening out there in our fields. Looking away means not taking responsibility! Only then we become aware of the abuses, by deliberate looking.
2. make a decision. Only buy food and products that are sustainably produced. Be prepared to spend a little more on nutrition so that our earth stays healthy and we can give our offspring an intact world.
Do we now want to ask ourselves whether it is worth striving for this goal with all consequence? Those who love their home and mother earth and also think of their physical vehicle, the home of our soul, can only receive one answer. Yes I do!
For the future
Even if many people with their current state of consciousness can not imagine that we are on the way to a world without animal husbandry for daily meat consumption, this is what will happen. It is another step for humanity to rise to a new level on its way to perfection. Only then will we again have enough free agricultural land available for the nutrition of all mankind. Carnivores will rearrange (like the bear right now) or disappear altogether. The food chain, as we know it, will then be non-existent.
Living knowledge frees my soul from the bond of magnetic and condensed matter
Products for the biodynamic methode
Rock crystal lenses
Rock crystal lenses are programmed with mental power of thought and then scattered in the garden. The information contained in the lenses is delivered to the ground in regular pulses, reviving the soil.
Horn silica preparation
Ground rock crystal powder, which is buried in the same principle as the Hornmist in the earth to absorb cosmic energies. Acts as a light amplifier for the plants and increases their vitality and quality and thus the general maturity (important for storage), the taste and the aroma. Effective against mass occurrence of snails.
Maria Thun’s cowpat preparation consisting of cow dung activates the conversion of organic matter into the soil, stimulating the soil organisms, which then provide a loose soil structure and faster build-up of inorganic and organic substances. In agriculture, it is sprayed after spreading manure, manure, compost and plowing green manure and it can be said that it has homeopathic effects, as all the products listed below.
Horn manure preparation
Cow dung, which is bottled in cowhorns over the winter, in order to absorb and store the cosmic forces strongly acting on the earth in this season.
It supports the natural ability of the plant to associate with the help of the soil organisms with the mineral.
Yarrow (502) / Camomile (503) / Nettle (504) / Oak Bark (505) / Dandelion (506) / Valerian Essence
On the one hand, they harmonize the nutrients, the mineral content and the subtle energies that form in the compost and the cowpat preparation; and on the other, they neutralize the formation of odors.
Compost – Fertilizer
Compost causes miracle in the soil
Matured Compost contains millions upon millions of microorganisms. With the addition of compost on the garden beds, the soil is inoculated with microorganisms that stimulate life in the soil. The soil is thereby improved in its structure, so that the nutrients can be stored better.
The compost acts on sandy soils, which can absorb water and nutrients more efficiently as well as on loamy, heavy soils, which are looser and more permeable to air through the humus.
In biodynamic farming is fertilized in the fall. We „feed“ the soil organisms, so to speak. The soil organisms convert the compost during the cold season and we get healthy plants next year. Many gardeners who garden biodynamically know that in the cold winter months the cosmic forces act in a concentrated manner on the soil and thus help the soil organisms to metabolise the compost. In the winter months, so to speak, the batteries of Mother Earth are recharged, just as this is also the case with us and each of us can experience first-hand.
Fertilization experiments and comparisons have shown that fertilizer must not be given directly to the plants. The plants are then often attacked by fungi and pests such as: mildew, cabbage and brown rot (potatoes), cabbage heme, ergot (wheat), monilia and rust (fruit), bean rust, fire blight u.v.m.
Spring fertilization thus worsens the quality, autumn fertilization ensures good soil structures and increased humus content.
(Source: „Experiences for the garden“, Maria Thun)
The Rottelenker is a product of the biological-dynamic work. It consists essentially of cow dung, which was periodically processed in the „birch pit“. The biodynamic compost preparations introduced several times lead a steered, rapid rotting. At the beginning of the rotting season, it is additionally mixed with small amounts of organic lime meal and natural primary rock flour, which is then dried in various rotting phases for preservation.
The Rottelenker conveys the forces for the harmonizing control of the conversion processes in any transient organic substance.
The Rottelenker also contains bacterial and fungal cultures, which are necessary for a reasonable humus formation. It stimulates the soil-life!
(after wetting it wins its effectiveness).
- For the stimulation and immediate regulation of reaction processes in all solid and liquid organic substances and fertilizers.
- For odor retention in the accumulation of any organic substance: compost, manure, Slurry, leaves. The manure no longer stinks and becomes compatible with plants and soil.
- Activation of soil life in connection with crop residues, green manure and organic fertilizers.
- When applied to the soil to be cultivated the Rottelenker causes an optimal development of the soil life, the plant roots and thus a lasting soil loosening.
The aim is to harmonize the „realm of the earth“ through humus formation, soil maintenance and stabilization of the crumb structure. This is achieved with the help of the rott steering. The odor binding becomes a clear sense of achievement.
Application to activ the soil
The Rottelenker, introduced into the soil, along with organic matter such as compost, leaves, straw, chaff, green manure causes a better rotting of the substances, a more stable crumb structure and thus a loose soil by promoting the soil life (especially the earthworm) for the humus formation. Here is the application:
For 100 m2 garden area in the evening 2 heaped tablespoons Rottelenker soaked in about 7 liters of water and the next day a few drops of valerian supplement added and sprayed on the surface with a branch or hand brush, preferably in the evening. The ground animals like to fetch this food and aerate the soil through their activities.
Above all, the rotting process is instantly initiated in compost collection containers and kitchen compost buckets when sprinkling the rottelenker (a teaspoon) and when setting up and moving a copo pile it is always worthwhile to sprinkle the rottelenker over it like pepper.
Where to buy
Internationale Biologisch-Dynamische Präperatezentrale, C. v. Wistinghausen, Brunnenhof Mäusdorf, 74653 Künzelsau / Tel. +49 7940 2230 / Fax: +49 7940 4911 / Mail: C.v.wistinghausen@t-online. de / see page: „Links“
The valerian is said to calm and give a restful sleep. But he has other excellent advantages, which I like to pass on here at this point.
As we have already read, the valerian essence is added to the compost as the sixth element, where it combines the five elements yarrow, chamomile, nettle, oak bark and dandelion. He harmonizes the compost and connects it with the forces of the cosmos. He brings yet another element that is inherent in him into play: the warmth! Thus, it keeps the heat better in the compost and at the same time it also prevents the compost from drying out too quickly. The microorganisms need stable, damp conditions, so that they can be fully active. If the moisture is missing or if it is too wet in the compost heap, stop its activity at short notice and stay in a sheltered place until better conditions arise.
The valerian is therefore a magical heat donor, and we can use this property for the following purposes:
- Valerian contains the amino acid tryptophan, which is responsible for calming the nervous system and „shutting down“ our entire body system. It can not be produced by the body itself and must therefore be supplied. So, before going to bed, we can add 1 – 3 drops of valerian essence to some water and take it.
- For flowering houseplants, especially orchids, cacti and all flowering plants outside in the vessels, we add half a pipette tube per liter of water to the water. This causes many flowers to appear again and again, and the rest period until the next flower is reduced by up to half! Valerian essence may also be added to the casting water between November and April.
- Valerian essence is an excellent antifreeze! In biodynamic agriculture, it is used in frosty conditions in vines and orchards, but also in the berry culture. This means, in early-flowering fruit trees such as apricot, peach, mirabelle, walnut or if there is a risk of frost when apple, pear and Co. already bloom. It is given 1% Valerian essence in water and sprayed on the plants. The temperature around the plants increases by 5 degrees, so they are protected to -4 degrees. Of course you can also use the essence in late frosts for all plants, including in the garden.
- For a rich tomato and pepper / paprika harvest. Two whole pipette tubes full in 10 liters of water.
- In the garden after planting seedlings. Two whole pipette tubes full in 10 liters of water. Guaranteed a good growth.
Production of the essence (for about 0.5 liters)
- We collect about 300 g of flowers (in a paper bag!) From the Valerian (Valeriana officinalis), which can grow up to over 2 meters, on a sunny day, not on a street! Be careful when collecting, the bees like it too! And go straight home to use it. Only then does it have many active ingredients that could otherwise evaporate if we loose time or leave it in the car too long.
2. At home, we need a chair without a backrest (in Switzerland this thing is called: Stabelle) and put it on its head on the floor with its legs up. Since we put a passier-cloth in it, it binds well to the four legs, so that it can not move anymore. Underneath we put a container, which catches the juice (do not choose too small!)
3. We fill the cup of a blender ¾ with flowers and add so much water that it mixes well. So about 2/10 water, 8/10 flowers. Mix well until no coarse parts are visible. We empty this coarse mixture into the cloth. We repeat this until we mix everything.
4. Then it means wringing out. As long as nothing else comes out of this cloth! In the end, the most valuable comes out of the pass cloth, so patience and perseverance are needed!
5. This preserved juice, which is initially greenish in color and turns brown through the ripening, we fill in a bottle and place it in a rather cool place.
6. About every 2-3 days, we open the bottle and let off the resulting gases. We do this for about 4 weeks, then the light fermentation should be completed.
7. This essence is ready for use after the end of fermentation and can be stored in a cool place in the cellar for at least 2-3 years.